Symptoms of viral hepatitis
- jaundice, which causes a yellowing of the skin and eyes
- abdominal pain
- loss of appetite
- low grade fever
Points to Remember
- Viral hepatitis is inflammation of the liver caused by the hepatitis A, B, C, D, or E viruses.
- Depending on the type of virus, viral hepatitis is spread through contaminated food or water, contact with infected blood, sexual contact with an infected person, or from mother to child during childbirth.
- Vaccines offer protection from hepatitis A and hepatitis B.
- No vaccines are available for hepatitis C, D, and E. Reducing exposure to the viruses offers the best protection.
- Hepatitis B, C, and D can be chronic and serious. Drugs are available to treat chronic hepatitis.