Mid Trimester: The couple, by now is physically and psychologically better adjusted to the pregnancy, so the interest picks up, but not always. You may find it is the best you have ever had!
Third Trimester: As the D-day approaches, the sexual desire usually wanes, sometimes more drastically than the 1st trimester, for obvious reasons:
- The discomfort of advancing pregnancy cools even the hottest passion.
- It is hard to concentrate as one anxiously waits for the awaited moment.
- Fear of hurting the foetus or causing a miscarriage.
- Fear that orgasm may stimulate miscarriage or early labour
- Fear that introduction of penis will cause infection
- Fear of hitting the baby once the head is engaged in the pelvis.
- There is any unexplained bleeding.
- If there is a history of miscarriage in the 1st trimester or history of premature labor in the 3rd trimester.
- If amniotic membranes (bag of water) has ruptured
- Good lasting sexual relationships happen with patience, understanding and love. This is more true when the relationship undergoes the emotional and physical assaults of pregnancy.
- Think positive, enjoy it more, even if you are doing it less, by putting emphasis on love, rather than love making.
- Find alternative routes to intimacy. The classic missionary position with man or woman on top may be uncomfortable but the male could be off to one side supported by his arms (to keep his weight off the woman) or both partners on the side, front to front or front to back, or kneel or crouch so that the partner can enter you from behind.
- Find other ways than penetration to have gratification for e.g. mutual masturbation. Massaging each other could be fun.
- The position of women over. This position is most comfortable for many pregnant women, especially since pregnant women can control the depth of penetration.
- Wheelbarrow. This position is usually in mid or advanced pregnancy which does not require much movement. Men and women sit on it sat facing each other or back to the man when the stomach is very big. This position also allows her to control the depth of penetration.
- The position of the man lying above but only half of the body.
- kneeling or standing position.
- The most important of all sex positions during pregnancy this is do not put your weight into the pregnant mother's abdomen during sexual intercourse or limit pressure pregnant stomach.