History continues at the beginning of the fourth century A. D. when the puducherry area is part of the Pallava Kingdom of Kanchipuram. During the next centuries puducherry is occupied by different dynasties of the south: in the tenth century A.D.
In 1765 the town is returned to France after a peace treaty with England in Europe. Governor Law de Lauriston set to rebuild the town on the old foundations and after five months 200 European and 2000 Tamil houses had been erected. During the next 50 years puducherry changed hands between France and England with the regularity of their wars and peace treaties.
Only after 1816 the French regained permanent control of puducherry, but the town had lost much of its former glory. Successive Governors improved infrastructure, industry, law and education over the next 138 years. In 1947 the English left India for good, but it lasted till 1954 when the French handed puducherry over to an independent India.